The Midwives Model of Care
"The Midwives Model of Care is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes.
The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention
The application of this woman-centered model of care has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section."
We provide the following services:
- An initial consultation to see if we can work together to offer you the care you desire for your growing family.
- A second visit which includes a full physical exam, appropriate prenatal lab work, and an in-depth review of your medical history.
- Prenatal checkups in our office every 4 weeks until 28 weeks, every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, and weekly until birth. This includes a home visit at 36-37 weeks. Each visit lasts about an hour, during which time we perform the physical components of the prenatal exam, as well as get to know each other.
- Attendance at your labor and birth.
- Two postpartum home visits. One approximately 24 hours after birth, and one on day 3.
- Newborn metabolic screening performed.
- Three in-office postpartum visits; day ten, week three, and week six.
- A complete well woman exam at your six-week postpartum visit to include family planning counseling and a pap test as needed.
- All lab work is included in the global maternity fee.
- 24-hour availability by telephone.
Two qualified providers will attend every birth. All equipment and supplies needed for your birth will be brought to your home. These include; herbs and prescription drugs to control hemorrhage, oxygen for mother and baby, suturing supplies, and an electronic Doppler for monitoring the fetal heart rate during labor. We also carry vitamin K and erythromycin eye ointment for baby.
Our fee for midwifery services is $2700. A discount of 15% will be granted for clients who pay in full by 16 weeks. We accept cash, checks, and credit/debit cards. In some cases, we are willing to barter for services.
We welcome clients who are seeking a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC).
Midwifery services available in the Flathead Valley and surrounding areas: Kalispell * Whitefish * Bigfork * Columbia Falls * Eureka * Libby * Polson * Hot Springs * Lakeside * Hungry Horse * Coram * West Glacier * Plains * Kila * Helena * Avon * Seeley Lake * Ovando * Helmville * Swan Lake
- A free initial consultation to determine if we are the right fit for you.
- 2-3 visits to discuss birth plans and what you're looking for in a doula.
- Continuous support for your labor, delivery, and immediate postpartum (2 hrs postpartum).
- Breastfeeding support.
- One postpartum visit to check on mother and baby, and to review birth.
The fee for doula services is $350
*When acting as doulas, Fern Creek Midwives cannot provide medical care or perform clinical tasks, including monitoring of the baby, checking vitals, and performing vaginal exams.